SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguy_

sdc updates in pa + others

gardenguy_
18 years ago

Here is my monthly update for early Sept.

First off, here is the SDC which I planted in mid April. It survived snow and temps down to mid to low 30's. The picture was taken May first. The psuedostem is about only 3-4 inches.

{{gwi:420806}}

Here is the same plant today. (9-05-2005) It's about 4-5 feet tall and the psuedostem is huge and very thick. Hence the banana being a SDC, notice the thick stubby psuedostem.

{{gwi:420808}}

Here is the same SDC, with a Basjoo to the left of it. This winter will be my first time leaving a Basjoo out for the winter. After the first frost, I will cut the basjoo down to a height of 3-6 inches, cover with mulch, plastic and then a protective sheet. Do you think it's big enough to survive the winter? It's been in the ground since late June. When I got the Basjoo, it was very tiny, only about 3-4 inches high total.

{{gwi:420809}}

Here is another SDC in a pot. I will most likely cut 2 separate stems off and give them away. I am thinking of taking the rest of the plant, chopping the roots off of the corm, cutting all the leaves EXCEPT the top leaf and storing it cool and dry for the winter.

{{gwi:420810}}

AND finally, here are the rest of my bananas. The one at the far left end is a baby Basjoo. The next one to the right is a dwarf orinoco banana. The next one to the right is an ice cream banana. Notice that the ice cream is slightly bigger than the dwarf. I ordered the dwarf orinoco and ice cream at the same time. The dwarf orinoco was bigger. Now, the ice cream has begun to surpass the dwarf orinoco since the ice cream is not a dwarf plant. The last one nearest to the camera on the near right is another basjoo. This is my insurance banana in case the other basjoo doesn't make it over the winter. I don't expect this to happen, but oh well, you never know since this is my first time trying to overwinter a banana. The baby basjoo at the far left end was initially planted with the basjoo pictured above with the SDC, but since I had that patch of soil covered with too many plants earlier, the basjoo failed to get big. I repotted in a pot just for this winter. Ideas, suggestions and comments on these photos welcome!

{{gwi:420811}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio