SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
last_mango

Sunburst bamboo in trouble? White gooey stuff - PICS... help?

last_mango
16 years ago

Hi, You all have helped me in the past when I thought my giant black bamboo was not going to make it (I have since put it in the ground and it is slowly making a comeback with a new shoot appearing today).

However, now my sunburst (not sure of the "real" name) is in trouble, I think. Only the new shoots have this white gunk on them. More up near their tops. It seems they are stunted and not growing any taller. The other full grown shoots don't have the white stuff on them.

Here's an overview to get an idea of the height. The new shoots seem to be stopping about 3/4 of the way up...

{{gwi:419861}}

This is a close up of the fuzzy/gooey white stuff:

{{gwi:419863}}

This shows what may be the top of new shoot that has broken off and fallen down:

{{gwi:419865}}

This shows a healthy (so far) Hawaiian stripe that is right next to the Sunburst:

{{gwi:419867}}

Any identification and/or suggestions? Mostly, will it spread to existing bamboo or shoots of the other types?

Any help or ideas you can provide are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, I just went out and looked and the new shoots that have the white stuff concentrated near their tops seem to be sprouting branches just fine as if they had reached their full height. There is lighter coating of the white further down the stalks and on the branches... Hmmm?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio