SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diymadness

Help with plan for home office (pics)

diymadness
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

You helped me so much with my bathroom reno. Now I'm moving on to the next room. It's actually not really a room. It's a sort of landing area at the top of the stairs. For years it has just been an non-space -- just a gathering place for clutter. But I want to turn it into a home office area. I need a place to pay bills, check e-mail, etc, as well as a place to store household papers. I would love your advice on furniture layout.

Following Jan's advice, I have emptied out the room so I can see it more clearly.

These pocket door lead to a tiny guest room/library, with a sofa bed and book shelves. The corner to the right is one possible space for a filing cabinet or shelving unit of some kind:

I just got this desk on sale. It fits the little nook by the window but it is very small and offers almost no storage. Also, I'd like to put my laptop and printer here, but I think the printer will take up a lot of space. The chair is borrowed from the kitchen. I will need to get another one:

The stair railings -- they still need to be sanded and poly-ed. The door to the left is the bathroom. I was thinking about maybe putting a small reading chair in the corner of the railings. But there is not much space for a side table or lamp.:

The little door is the linen closet:

The bigger door leads to my bedroom:

As you can see, there is a lot going on in the space and not much usable room. Here is my wishlist for the space:

-- a desk to work at, with a comfortable desk chair

-- space for a printer

-- storage for a large amount of household papers -- financial, medical, etc.

-- storage for office supplies (paper, pens, stapler, tape, etc)

-- a comfy chair for reading, or for someone else to sit in while I am at the desk

-- display for pictures of family and friends

-- a stylish space, since this area is in a "public" part of the house.

How would you arrange the furniture in this room? Other than the desk, it's a blank slate and I will need to purchase furniture.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (17)