SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan820

Australian Hippis-- Status Reports

ryan820
14 years ago

Hi All--

The Aussie post is a behemoth. I have a high speed net connection and I still have to walk away from my computer and come back in a few minutes before it finishes loading!

So feel free, now that we scored our Australian hippis, to post your pics, progress reports and anything else related to these bulbs. I'll start off with my first potted auss-hippi...Stanwick.

{{gwi:410096}}

He is potted in a potting method called semi-hydroponic (s/h). This method has been successful for me growing my phalaenopsis orchids and I figured I would give it a try with a new bulb. The container is a deli container with two holes, close together, about 2 inches from the bottom of the pot. Thoroughly washed hydroton fills the pot and the bulb is placed inside and the rest of the space is filled up with my hydro. This bulb already has a few roots on it, which is good, but the idea behind s/h is that new roots will grow to the water and acclimate to the new conditions.

For instance-- if you get a new orchid and keep its moss or potting medium very wet, the roots will rot. However, if you have an actively growing root wriggling its way into the water, the roots do just fine and function just fine. So my experiment is to see if the same thing comes true for Stanwick.

The water reservoir should remain wet at all times. You can let the water level drop completely but the hydroton must appear wet and have water on it (if you've seen hydroton up close you know what I mean). This is when you need to water-- but in any case you can water and keep the reservoir full all the time, too. You can fertilize as well-- the hydroton has little ability to keep organic ferts but they do remain in the water at the bottom and I've noticed, with my orchids at least, they seem to soak it up nicely.

If you have bugs or too much fert salts, s/h can easily flush the system by running water through it for a few minutes.

I will keep you all posted on the situation and whether or not it even works. Its my hope that it does as I have a gnat issue with all my potted plants and I hate them like poison! (Seinfeld quote!). Plus, I like that you can see whats going on with s/h under the soil. It seems to be a much cleaner and more controlled situation than using conventional soil. By keeping both the roots in the water and the bulb (or orchid) away from tissue-hurting moisture, you can take much better control of the situation and provide an excellent way of growing your plants.

Ryan

Comments (52)

Sponsored
More Discussions