SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ventura_coach

Narrow potted sound barrier

Ventura_Coach
18 years ago

Hello all,

I am hoping to plant some sort of noise barrier in containers along the side of my house and had several questions and constraints. I checked previous messages in this forum and was able to glean a little bit of info. I am completely new to bamboo. Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

HereÂs my situation: I live in a new 2 story house on a relatively small lot close to a freeway. I would like to block out some of the noise that seems to echo between my neighborÂs house and mine. The 5Â side walkway is fully cemented in, so IÂd have to use narrow planters along the wood fence. Although I live only a few miles from the beach (Sunset Zone 24, US 11) the air isnÂt salty. We regularly get afternoon breezes/winds.

Does bamboo seem like an ideal plant for my setting? Are running or clumping varieties more appropriate for narrow planters? Also, since it would up against the fence, IÂd like to be a good neighbor and not have something that drops a lot of leaves. Are there any varieties of bamboo that have minimal leaf drop?

Regarding the planter: IÂm thinking long and narrow. I donÂt want anything sticking out from the fence more than 2Â, if possible. IÂm assuming plastic containers are out of the question? Any recommendations on how tall the containers should be? I saw one post saying to use a tapered container and line in with heavy duty plastic for easier maintenance.

Thanks again for any info you can give me.

Comments (4)

Sponsored