SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Surgical root prunig at construction sites- rip off or not?

alan haigh
12 years ago

I was at a construction site the other day where an air compressor was being used to blow out a trench without disturbing the roots of an ancient specimen apple tree. A grade change was being made that would destroy almost half the trees root system. The thousand dollar treatment was being made so that the roots could be pruned with a sharp instrument instead of either just ripping them with a back hoe or doing that and then carefully recutting the rough cuts that the back hoe would cause with a pruning shear or saw. I would have opted for the latter just because it would be such a minor job in comparison. Actually I probably would have hand dug it first and after pruning the roots let the back hoe do its work.

Is anyone aware of any research that would show great benefit from such careful treatment? In my nursery we transplant and re-transplant hundreds of trees and my help doesn't always clean cut every butchered root and I've never seen such wounds leading to infection when I've redug. Not that this proves anything- I'm just saying.

I certainly can see the use of an air spade when trying to save roots but this is the first time I've seen this method used just to help clean cut them.

Comments (25)