SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

how's ingrown scape sound?

I had posted a couple of weeks ago (maybe last week?) about what I called a "trapped" scape. For lack of better wording, that's what it seemed to be. Then today it hit me...an "ingrown" scape is a better description. I did "surgery" to remove some of the bulb's tissue around the top that was limiting the emergence of the scape last Friday morning, then treated well with fungicide, etc. (Note: this was either smart or stupid, but I tried to be really careful) I was gone all weekend and came back to a deformed, but freed scape! It's on my Double Queen bulb. If you look carefully at the photo, you can see the deep scar that I think may have been the result of this happening before! There are bumps on the blossom's bud, but I hope that's just from trauma. Just in case...it's in "quarantine"!

{{gwi:406424}}

When I poked around the bulb tonight, I found another scape that may be able to emerge, but I'm sure the blooms will be deformed as the scapes and blossom buds have been pulled an are mis-shapen as a result.

Also had a wonderful surprise on my Pink Diamond bulb. A scape is coming up between 2 leaves. I'll post photos of the bench full of pots when they are in bloom. Right now Jewel and Lady Jane are in bloom. Blossom Peacock and Candy Cane are next. Black Pearl and Picotee are looking promising with 2 scapes each; Exotica, Rilona, Ferrari, and Pink Diamond have 1 scape each. Only Hercules didn't produce, but there's next year.

I amassed quite a collection in the past 6 weeks due to a couple of nice bulb sales in Houston and late shipments from Bulbs Direct and Royal colors (Showmaster, Ice Queen,Papilio and Rembrandt van Rijn will be picked up in the morning). It will be interesting to see when they all bloom next year as I feel that they got a late start; however, all my bulbs that I've been growing for years (Jewel, Minerva, and Candy Cane) are just now blooming. Pat (in Houston) are yours finished or mid-bloom?

Have a great week everyone.

Kristi

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions