SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnburns_gw

Banana Plant Questions - Large Plants

johnburns
17 years ago

First, backgound on my environment - I live in Oklahoma City where we must dig up banana plants in the Fall and replant them in the Spring due to extreme temperatures. I purchased and planted planted four large (6 foot tall) banana plants in large patio planter beds about 5 weeks ago. The soil is some black dirt, but lots of clay, which I understand does not allow great drainage. The plants did well and put out leaves (about one per week after being planted and seemed to be well on the way to flourishing. I watered them quite a lot (once per day) during the first four weeks and fertilized them about once per week. Now, two of them still appear to be healthy and doing well, but two of the appear to have rotted leaves inside the stalks and have sprouted leaves about 4 feet up on the side of each stalk. These leaves are under the original top of the growing stalk, and are now appearing to grow, even though not out the top of the plant. My questions are:

1. Did I overwater the plants? (I believe I probably did)

2. Will the leaves coming out at the lower level continue

to be the growing plant?

3. If so, should I cut the stalk down to the level of

these leaves, or should I just leave the stalk? It

appears to be rotted in that part.

4. Is there anything else I can do to help these plants?

5. Since the soil contains clay, would watering a couple

times per week be sufficient even in 90 degrees plus

temperatures?

I would appreciate any input and advice anyone might have since these could be very nice plants on my patio, but I seemed to discourage them somewhat so far. Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio