SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manifest_gw

I curse the people who planted bamboo here

manifest
11 years ago

For any bamboo lovers, please pardon the ranty title of this post. Hopefully after reading this post, you'll understand why.

We just bought a house a few months ago with a major fixer-upper of a back yard. Giant bamboo was planted between our concrete patio and the fence for privacy. This bamboo has grown through the fence rails and is now on the neighbor's side of the fence:

{{gwi:413836}}

I have no idea what type of bamboo this is, so if I could get some help with an ID, I'd appreciate it. Not sure if it's a running or clumping variety. It gets TALL - about 30' tall:

{{gwi:413837}}

And some of the stalks get about 3" in diameter. Here's one with a soda can for scale:

{{gwi:413838}}

The stalks change from green to gold as they mature.

{{gwi:413839}}

Over the past 2 months, I've been cutting down both new and older culms and painting concentrated Round Up on the cut surface. It's unbelievable to me that new branches are still emerging from the nodes. I thought it would be best to cut the culms as close to the ground as possible, but now that I'm seeing new branches emerge, I'll cut them higher up from the ground.

{{gwi:413840}}

This culm also looks like it has scale growing on the bottoms of the stalks. I was always under the impression that bamboo was immune to pests and bacteria, so I was surprised to find scale on the bottom of it. I don't plan on treating it since I'm getting rid of the bamboo. But should I be worried about scale infecting nearby plants that we're growing?

{{gwi:413841}}

We had to dig up a younger stand of this bamboo that was planted in our yard further away from the fence. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the hole that my husband had to dig to remove the rhizomes for 5 stalks of bamboo was 6' wide and 4' deep. It's going to be challenging trying to dig up all this bamboo by the fence, as it's in such a tight area. The bamboo has established itself such that you can't even get a shovel in between the culms due to the tough roots.

I know that backhoes have been suggested for removal of bamboo, but considering the tightness of the area that the bamboo is planted in, does anybody have any other suggestions for how we can begin removal? We do plan on replacing the fence in the next year, but we're hoping to try to take care of as much bamboo removal as possible prior to tearing down the fence. Will this even be possible? Another photo for reference:

{{gwi:413842}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County