SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tucsonjen_gw

Mexican Flame Vines (and I!) need your help!

TucsonJen
18 years ago

OK, according to what I've read, Mexican Flame Vines (Senecio confusus) can do full sun. Even Phoenix full sun, says Desert Tropicals. I thought for sure they'd be okay in Tucson sun, lol! They must mean ones that weren't planted in June.

I had them on my porch with afternoon shade for a week or two - I've been trying to buy them since February and only just found them recently but was too busy to plant them! They did okay with twice a day watering (though they wilted during the day) and seemed happier with three times a day. I attributed this high water need to their being in pots.

So I planted them last night and watered them thoroughly. The vine branches broke off much too easily (at least compared to other vines I have) so I thought I might be in trouble. I watered them early this morning and then again later this morning because they wilted so badly. They're not freshening up! I'm particularly worried since they'd be in full sun right now if they were still on the porch and they're doing worse in the ground. Plus now they have all afternoon of sun to die on me. Ack! I even put up an umbrella (the vines are near a pool deck) to shade one of them but it doesn't look any better than the rest. I'm thiniking I'll cover them with shade cloth as best I can and keep watering them frequently.

Suggestions? Is it hopelesss? Is it the heat more than the sun that's causing them stress? My front porch has a gentler climate (lots of tropical plants) than my pool area with it's reflected heat. *sigh* Should I go out and buy a misting system? Yeah, right.

Jen-who-ought-to-landscape-with-statues-or-something-else-that-can't-die

Comments (15)