SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

A winter sowing success story.

tiffy_z5_6_can
13 years ago

A couple of years ago, I dropped by a nursery on the way home in the middle of a long trip. As my DD and I were strolling through the greenhouses, I spotted an Orange Milkweed (Asclepias Tuberosa), but disappointingly told my young daughter that there was a tag indicating it had already been sold. She went to the clerk and when we left, we had the plant in hand. :O) The plant had been sold over a month before and the owner had not bothered to return for it so the manager decided I could have it. I had tried to winter sow it several times but never a sprout did I get.

Last year it grew as well as those posted here, and I managed to get seeds. We made the same trip and dropped by the nursery and asked if they would be getting more this year. They took my name down and said they would make every effort to get it in.

I winter sowed all the seeds from my one plant, and for the first time got germination. MASSIVE germination!!! I have planted at least 30 seedlings in my gardens, a few more in holding beds, more in pots, and sold over 36 during my plant sale. WOW!!

Two days ago, I get an e-mail from the nursery telling me that they have the Tuberosa available. I responded, kindly telling them about my success with the seeds, but also let them know that I will be conducting a seminar in early July at the N.S. Agricultural College on the topic of butterfly gardens and Monarchs in particular and I will let all the Master Gardeners know where they can get this lovely plant. :O) Of course I will also talk about winter sowing...

Comments (4)

Sponsored