SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txjg

Choosing large trees for yard - your $.02

Jordana George
11 years ago

Hi y'all,

I recently moved to Socorro, NM (zone 6 or 7 depending on who you ask) 4600' elevation, 9" annual rainfall, high winds in spring) and I would like your input. Since there isn't a New Mexico garden forum, I figured AZ would be the next best thing, at least those of you at higher elevations.

There is very little in my yard besides an old mulberry tree on the west side and I'm starting to landscape. I want to add two evergreen trees for shade and birds. There will be xeriscaping around the trees with shrubs and flowers as you approach the house. The trees will be planted 6' from a masonry wall and 15' to 20' from the house.

The trees I am considering are Arizona Cypress, Apache Pine, Afghan Pine and Live Oak (Quercus Fusiformis). Here are my concerns:

* Drought resistance

* Heat resistance

* Cold resistance

* Roots surfacing and damaging the sidewalk or house foundation

* Prefer a fast grower

* Longevity of the tree

* Insect and disease tolerance

Please share your experience with these trees. As they will be in the garden and in full view of the house, I want very attractive trees that will enhance the yard, even as they age. Some pines get scraggly looking at maturity, which worries me. On the other hand, the live oak can have surface root issues. I've also heard that the cypress only lives 20-30n years. Which tree to pick or get 2 different trees?

Thanks so much for your time,

JG

Comments (15)