SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Crinum lilies

grant_in_arizona
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I've slowly become a fan of crinum lilies (mostly because they're slow to get established from small bulbs) and have several planted in the ground and in pots in my little garden. Most of them (though not all, LOL) are large enough to bloom reliably these days so I thought I'd share a couple of pics. Anyone else grow/love crinums here in the Valley?

Partial or full shade keeps them happiest. My best ones are on the east side of the house, or walls or large shading shrubs. I slop water on them once a week or so with the hose, but none are on automatic irrigation and they absolutely don't mind when I'm away for a week or two for work or fun. Plus the big, fragrant blooms are so pretty. Here are a couple that have been in bloom over the last week or so.

Good old 'Milk & Wine' with those nice, large striped flowers. For me, this one is winter-deciduous, dying all the way to the ground for winter and emerging in spring:

{{gwi:406286}}

{{gwi:406287}}

And here's another classic, 'Ellen Bosanquet' in bloom this morning.

{{gwi:406288}}

They're not fancy, and they're certainly not difficult to grow, but they are pretty so I thought I'd share a couple of other pics. I've seen some MASSIVE clumps in some shady gardens in historic neighborhoods (especially the Encanto neighborhood in Phoenix). Are you growing and enjoying any? Either way, I hope you'll enjoy a quick look at a few of mine.

Happy gardening!
Grant

Comments (10)