SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katkat_gw

tree devastation! HELP

katkat
11 years ago

About 10 years ago my husband and I bought a small campground (17 acres) in Indiana, zone 5. Four years later the Emerald Ash Borer hit us and in the last six years we've removed around 400 dead and dying Ash trees. It looks like terrible in comparison to what it was when we bought the place and campers want shade! We planted about 40 trees of different variety, Maple, upright Willows, Pears, etc. About a year ago a fellow from the DNR came to talk to me about a bug called the Asian Longhorn Beetle. GEEZE! Give me a break right? He informed me that they do not just kill one type of trees, but many, including maples, willows. I did some research and he is right. The only tree I can find that they do not kill 100% is the Tree of Heaven. I didn't put any trees out last fall for two reasons. I don't know what kind to plant because of this bug and plus my carpal tunnel was acting up. I need trees on this campground. It is a lot of hard work to plant 10-20 trees at a time and it is costly. I can't afford to put out a bunch of trees only to have them killed in a few years. This bug is in Chicago now, which is about 175 miles from us. I can't afford another disastrous infestation. Anyone have any ideas on what to plant? I'm at my wits in.

Comments (16)