SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hermitonthehill

pot size for optimum growth/size

hermitonthehill
16 years ago

I've been in debate upon whether to continue with containers or shifting to inground planting. My decision seems to hinge most upon the answer to the question:

What size container/pot for optimum growth?

I'm not concerned with blooming or fruiting, as both are unlikely where I am at, but I am fairly well focused on getting as much size/growth from what I have and that means a leaning towards container-growing so that I can move a plant or plants in for the winters rather than having them suffer die-back, cutting them down before rot works down from the top, or contending with the greater effort of spraying with something like lime sulfur or another fungicide or inhibitor to then proceed with caging and whole-plant mulching. In fact, that just seems like a total PITA.

So, for say a three-year plan from pups, what would be the best size choice for a container for a single plant?

I'm also only planning to partially "bury" such a container - buried enough to provide stability in the event of strong winds, the canines herding their "barrel" up against the pot and potential for knocking even a big one over, etc., but not buried as deep as even a few inches from the rim so I don't have to worry about a hole-hazard in the yard in the off-season, too much run off from heavier rains "cementing" a pot in the ground from re-compacting surrounding soil and not being able to get it out without a hernia erupting or having to dig the hole even larger, and to better be able to keep tabs on good drainage as well as insure it.

Comments (6)