SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

OT - Bargains at the garden centers!

tiffy_z5_6_can
15 years ago

Went to Walmart today to get cards and gifts for DD teachers. Of course, one has to check-out the garden center in case there's something there which is needed in the gardens, eh?

On one table, I spotted 10 Astilbes in one gallon pots. No price, but all other things on the other side of the table were 50 cents each. No way the Astilbes were that cheap so I asked the clerk how much the Astilbes were and she said everything on that table was 50 cents!!!! I hijacked the cart next to the table, put all Astilbes in there and told her to ring me in. :O)

She told me I was nuts to take 'those dead plants' home. I told her that the plants were still very much alive. I turned over a pot and showed her the roots which were good, and the crowns of all plants were showing good new growth coming out of the soil. A few had tags indicating the colors red and pink.

I know, I know... I have at least over 50 Astilbes because of winter sowing, but folks, I just couldn't leave these beautiful plants there to die a painful death in the hot sun. Besides, I paid $5.76 for all of them whereas the original asking price at the start of the season was about $70.00 for the lot.

Out to plant those beauties!

Comments (13)

Sponsored