SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martyd215

Growing a hosta in Arizona

martyd215
14 years ago

I live in Tucson and I have been looking online to no avail for information about growing a hosta (as a specimen plant in a container, most likely) in Tucson. The best I have found is a quote stating that people have grown them in Arizona, but no real information to help me out.

Now, I don't expect it to do splendidly, and I know they're not suited for the climate, but my reason for doing it is mainly as a gift for my mother as she's recently gotten disillusioned living here. She misses her garden back in Illinois which we both recently moved here from and she's recently given up growing anything out here after she thought she killed a couple of trees during the winter (they've since grown back, but she's still stuck in a funk.) The plant she misses most are hostas (every time I say something about "Why aren't you gardening?" she invariably brings them up.)

I thought having a hosta would remind her of home and perhaps help her get out of the funk. I'm sure people will want to say things like "They're not meant to grow here, grow x instead." but I'm set on growing one hosta in a container regardless of people attempting to dissuade me. If I just keep one in a pot for her alive for a few months, I guess that's the best I'll do, but I'd really like to know how to keep one alive in the desert climate (there are many shade spots in her yard.)

So has anyone had any experience? Know a particular variety that is suited to the climate? Has anyone even seen a hosta at a nursery anywhere in Tucson?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Comments (8)