SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Remove Norway Maple or not?

marcindy
14 years ago

I am really torn about what to do. On the west side of my house grows a large Norway maple. The previous owners planted it probably 25 years ago, about 10 feet away from the house. The trunk diameter is roughly 18 inches approximately one foot above the ground. It's large, well rounded, and we limbed it up some so the branches would touch the roof anymore. The tree is in front of my bedroom window and grows between me and my neighbor's house, providing shade from late afternoon sun in the summer. The tree seems healthy, and actually looks good.

The downsides are the typical Norway maple negatives: clogged gutters from seeds and leaves, seedlings sprouting everywhere, noting really grows underneath it which makes mowing the struggling lawn a dusty mess, half of the year the soil underneath the tree is either bone dry or muddy. Throughout the year the tree drops smaller branches, but to be fair, so do the Red maples and the sugar maples to an extend on my property. Also, to be fair, this side of the house doesn't get much foot traffic, I like to stroll past the tree on my walks around the yard, but it's not a main access route to my backyard. The tree is on my property about 6 feet from the property line to my neighbor. He has never complained and doesn't seem bothered by the leaves (he has about four more Norway maples in his backyard), so the tree is not a nuisance to him.

In short, the tree is healthy and older and large, but it is becoming a hassle for me and I don't get much pleasure out of it. I mean, it's nice to look at when the yellowish-green blossoms are breaking out in early spring, and than again in late fall when the leaves turn pure yellow. Other than that there is not much that excites me about it. But are those reasons enough to cut down a mature tree? I hate cutting trees down because they take a long time to grow and they are living things after all, but I am just not sure what the right thing is to do in this case. Maybe I'm over-sentimental when it comes to trees, but I see to many homeowners carelessly and thoughtlessly cut down trees because they are in the way, or they tire of the leave removal, or whatever. What would you do? Am I contemplating to do the right thing?

Comments (17)