SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonitaapplebum_gw

OK, so root pruning is really hard and not that effective?

17 years ago

I'm new to running bamboo, I recently read Taming The Dragon -- a really interesting book about hardy bamboo by Paul Whittaker, and I'm intrigued. I can't wait to try planting some running bamboos. (I already have some clumpers I adore.)

I've been trying to learn as much as possible about these plants before investing the time and money in them. In another thread of mine here a poster told me that root pruning would be a lot of work, and it would ruin my lawn. They warned me that my bamboo would run no matter what.

So -- what do you think? I'm an average build/strength woman in my mid 30's. Will containing a small grove of running bamboo take more than a Saturday afternoon or two each fall? Will I need special tools or techniques?

I was thinking I would just use a spade and slice straight down 8-10" in a circle around the grove. Is there much more to it than that? What am I not getting?

The site I have in mind would be root pruned and also mowed around... but it is definitely important to me that the bamboo not get out of hand, as it is not far from the property border.

If root pruning isn't going to work for me, I'd like to know NOW and not when I'm faced with a big mess!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus