SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscus909

repotting, pruning, root pruning

hibiscus909
6 years ago

I recently picked up a lime and kumquat. Just finished up repotting them, so here's a little recap of my journey. All comments welcome, as I am new to this.

When I pulled them out to repot, the bottom 25% of the pot was full of broken off roots. The mix was mostly peat and was always wet, but when I washed it off, you could tell there was some bark in there.

The alarming issue was that one side of the rootball just fell off. This happened on 2 plants. Just gonna guess it rotted, but it's odd that it was one side. Here's the kumquat after I washed it. (It was a little easier to see that it was a half rootball when the soil was on it.)

I don't really know what I'm looking at with roots, so I just pruned off the double root that wraps over, although I kind of wondered if it would start to grow downwards. I left that other sideways root for stability. Maybe it's not even alive?

They need pruning because of unevenness, but when should it be done??

Look at all the little branches near the bottom of the kumquat :)I will stake the big branch because I don't want to cut it off, but when do you do major and minor pruning??

I put these into 5-1-1 and used berger mix for the peat portion. I have never used berger before, and I don't like the way it looks compared to promix. AND this is my first season trying 5-1-1, so I'm nervous. Before putting into similar sized pots, I treated the roots to a little dusting of powdered kelp. Again, a new thing for me. I'm sure they feel pampered, right?

Comments (5)