SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Black Alder -- Alnus glutinosa -- Questions about ???

denninmi
14 years ago

Can anyone tell me about Black Alder?

I have to do home visits about every 10 days with a client who lives in an older subdivision. As is typical here in SE Michigan, ash trees were used extensively as roadside shade trees, and then died out due to emerald ash borer.

The subdivision apparently replaced the dead ash with, IMO, a pretty impressive diversity of trees -- among them, Kentucky Coffee, Red Buckeye, Tree Lilac, Ginko, Bald Cypress, Katsura, Tulip Tree, Sycamores, Sawtooth oak, so on and so forth.

Now, I'm pretty good with trees, and pretty observant. So, I spotted several specimens of something I didn't recognize. Glossy green foliage wich is hanging on much later than the other trees. I stopped on Wednesday and took a closer look. When I saw that it had catkins very similar to birch, and small, hard "cones" I knew that it was probably an Alder.

So, I looked at some pictures on the internet -- it is definitely Black Alder.

Does anyone have any experience with this tree -- growth rate, hardiness, good and bad points? I really like the looks of the foliage and the cones, and I think it might be a nice addition to my yard.

Comments (4)