SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

Almost 300.00 in seeds

ontheteam
14 years ago

I do not know if the plant sale is a good excuse to indulge my seed habit or a very bad idea for may seed and plant addiction one week 300.00 bucks. ( 129.99 at Value seeds 100.00 at Job lot and 65 at Bennys)

Are seeds cheaper than therapy? Please say yes..

Comments (22)

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

depends...
    How long are you planning on being in therapy?

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

I spend about that each month in seeds, sometimes more.

It's a problem if you are hording, much like little old ladies who acquire dozens and dozens of cats. If you're collecting seeds simply to have them then it has become a problem, but if you do intend to sow them, trade for ones you will sow and grow, or if you intend to give them away then you're okay.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Are you depriving your family of important things, like food and shelter, so that you have money for seed? If you really plan to use them in some way, as Trudi pointed out, and if you can afford it, then by all means, go for it. If you sow them, then you MUST post pictures for your enablers to enjoy!

• countrycarolyn
    14 years ago

All I can say is I sure wished you wouldnt of said the sites where you got your seeds from. lol I already opened another browser!!

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Q:depends...
    How long are you planning on being in therapy?

A:Oh depends on who you ask... could be a LONG LONG time.

Trudi:I spend about that each month in seeds, sometimes more.

It's a problem if you are hording, much like little old ladies who acquire dozens and dozens of cats. If you're collecting seeds simply to have them then it has become a problem, but if you do intend to sow them, trade for ones you will sow and grow, or if you intend to give them away then you're okay.

Me: Welll,,, I do not plan to horde..but it's a possibility if I misplace them and do not find them when I want to sow and go buy more.. But I fully intend to trade sow grow and donate about 80 of all germination the plant sale next yr,.

. Nancy Q: Are you depriving your family of important things, like food and shelter, so that you have money for seed? If you really plan to use them in some way, as Trudi pointed out, and if you can afford it, then by all means, go for it. If you sow them, then you MUST post pictures for your enablers to enjoy!

My answer:
    Good context..I got a bonus check from work.so that's funding my spree..so not depriving anyone..yeah the smarter thing would have been to put it towards paying off a credit card ..but not behind on anything
    I will get pics for my enabling friends I promise.

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

Holy cow! I occasionally splurge on seeds I consider pricey, but never anywhere near that. Usually I wait for a sale or special offer like free shipping. I do harvest my own seeds but only if I want to grow them myself or trade them.

Karen

• karendee
    14 years ago

wow, I too never would spend that much but if you can then go for it...

It helps that I am super cheap!!

I do plan to buy from Value Seeds and cheapseeds.com at the end of the summer for the next round of WS'ing

Karen

• carrie630
    14 years ago

.... I think the only time you would need therapy is if NONE of those seeds germinated...

:0/

Carrie

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holy cow! I occasionally splurge on seeds I consider pricey, but never anywhere near that. Usually I wait for a sale or special offer like free shipping. I do harvest my own seeds but only if I want to grow them myself or trade them.

But but but...they were on sale!

Items in Cart:
    6 of [code: 388] Cucumber Burpless Tasty Green @ 0.99
    10 of [code: 748] Tomato Supersweet 100 F1 Hybrid @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 1346] Calendula Radio Extra @ 0.99
    4 of [code: 2907] Delphinium Pacific Hybrid Mixed @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 3451] Marigold Solan @ 0.99
    4 of [code: 6081] Sunflower Velvet Queen @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 6357] Morning Glory Early Call @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 7134] Lupin Blue Bonnet @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 7239] Larkspur Gentian Blue @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 7749] Columbine Nora Barlow @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 7783] Lady\'s Mantle @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 7794] Zinnia Pulcino Mixed @ 0.99
    6 of [code: 257] Tomato : Super Marmande @ 0.99
    4 of [code: 403] ** Star Buy ** Salad Leaves Niche Oriental Mixed @ 0.49
    2 of [code: 498] Thyme : Orange Scented @ 0.99
    10 of [code: 840] Tomato : Sungold F1 @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 1707] Ipomoea purpurea Split Personality @ 0.99
    4 of [code: 3070] Dianthus amurensis Siberian Blues @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 4264] Zinnea elegans Magellan Mixed @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 7056] Poppy Pink Paeony @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 7785] Agastache anisata @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 2486] Freesia tetraploid Super Giant Mixed @ 0.99
    4 of [code: 27] Coriander Confetti @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 4621] Lathyrus grandiflora Old Glory @ 0.99
    6 of [code: 504] Tomato : Suncherry Premium F1 Hybrid @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 6163] Ipomoea purpurea Kniolas Black Night @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 6722] Aquilegia x cultorum Danish Dwarf @ 0.99
    25 of [code: 10844] Flower Pouch @ 0.99

That's from VS: The other 2 purchases are similar. It's for the flower sale next yr. Out of thin air and my own sowing plus about 8-10 donated flats I raised 3300.00 for Children s Hospital Boston. I am buying the seeds to see what I can do with a little planning.

I normally am a lot more frugal. That's why I am tweaked by my own spending lol.

Carrie you can say THAT again.

* Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 15:45

.... I think the only time you would need therapy is if NONE of those seeds germinated...

:0/

Carrie

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And dammit it all... I do not have any seeds to start Tiarella / Stargazer Mercury/foamflower.. HTH did I manage THAT?! Oh well....

I put in 3 rosebushes ...and potted up the empty 3 gals there were in w/ orange daylillies for the plant sale I sowed some Sweet Williams,Love Lies bleeding and lupines.

I figure if I sow a few each day all June I'll have them done ..now..I think I am going to do a combo sowing method.. cut the bottom out of a lasagna pan partially bury it fill with good seed starting stuff and sow.

Kinda like sowing in place but a little protection while they grow and a good way for me to be able to FIND them next Spring when I need em.

• october17
    14 years ago

You, know, we mean pics of the seed packs, don't you?

• sheltieche
    14 years ago

I think it is quite a commitment and I applaud you for it!
    OTOH you might as well open your own nursery- amount of seedlings you will get is a full time job to keep going, label, transplant etc...
    I do understand you spending $$ on seeds, am in same boat, many seeds I want are pricey because they rare, unavailable anywhere else...some seeds are so chancey that I have to buy them from proven companies to be sure I get any germination...
    BTW tiarella seed is very short viable so needs to be sown fresh

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You, know, we mean pics of the seed packs, don't you?
    But If I do that DH will see it ..lol...He is pretending not to notice. Ill see if I can sneak a few pics tho.

Thanks for the tip on the tiarella. I was going to sow in now and let it grow on this summer for next springs sale.

I am trying to devise a plan to minimize as much work as possible. I am kicking around the idea of adopting out flats of seeds sown in to smaller nursery pots or big red beer cups to volunteers at work for THEM to label and transport.

I am considering just sowing them all here right in to the pots/cups as well
    Any suggestions gang on how to make this work is appreciated.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

:-)
    It's an obsession, addiction and everything in between. lol

I sympathize with you. I have tried to hold off on buying seeds and plants....to a certain extent...only....for about 2 months, I think.
    :-D

Then someone posted about Bluestone sale...
    I waited until two weeks ago, took a peak, decided to order only few starts of one Hosta, but ended up with 6 of that hosta and two shrubs.....

On Sat I visited a friend whose garden is filled with hundreds of different Hostas. I came home thinking why didn't I order another pretty one from Bluestone too....

Then yesterday I walked by a small garden on the sidewalk downtown and saw the cutest Hosta I had ever seen. So last night I did a google search...and identified it as Blue Mouse Ear. Searched it anf found it at Dutch Bulbs, Wayside and Gardencrossings. I thought and thought over night and was able to resist until 8:30 this morning....lol. It will be shipped next Monday. Over $20.00 -shipping and all-for one little hosta in a 5.5" pot. Can you believe this?!?! I have never spent so much on a hosta! At least everything I got from Gardencrossings have been superb in quality.

How then could I say no to my kid when he asked for a new telephone just because he wanted a new one? I didn't even give him anything when he turned 20 on Friday????

• fgirl21
    14 years ago

I'll pass on the discussion about just how much the seeds cost and how MANY you bought (LOL)
    but I have a question.........how did you raise the money for Children's? Did they have an event?

I ask because I'm local (worked over there for about a year in a consulting position) and wonder if there's something I can support.

• stillwelljill
    14 years ago

ontheteam.........I think it is wonderful that you have those seeds and don't find it unusual at all to buy something you really wanted - GOOD FOR YOU! There is so much pleasure in looking forward to what those seeds will become.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll pass on the discussion about just how much the seeds cost and how MANY you bought (LOL)
    but I have a question.........how did you raise the money for Children's? Did they have an event?

I ask because I'm local (worked over there for about a year in a consulting position) and wonder if there's something I can support.

It sure is! I work at the Avon MA Costco. May is focus month where we go all out to raise money for CMN/Boston children Hospital.

In Jan looking at the WAYYY to many seeds I had started inside under lights and the 52 WS jugs..I asked the Boss if we could do a plant sale for a weekend in May for CMN. In April he said yes...grr.... and for 3 weekends in May the plants were sold at the front door.

from google. CMN/Costco

CMN Local Sponsors
    Costco Costco Wholsale started raising money for Seattles Children's Medical and Research Center in 1988 as a local sponsor. In 1992, Costco became a national sponsor of Children's Miracle Network in Canada, raising funds for children's hospitals by selling their unique "oversized" Miracle Balloon. Each year, the month of May becomes "Miracle Month" at Costco and Costco employees are serious about selling balloons to raise money for Children's Miracle Network. In 2006, more than 1.5 million balloons were sold at 70 locations across Canada, raising over $3.1 million - an increase of more than 60% over the previous year.

• fgirl21
    14 years ago

Well I never heard it advertised - I missed it.
    And guess what - I'm local to AVON (just in the next town over). Small world.....

I'll have to watch for it next spring. Did you post it on the New England Gardening Forum and I missed it? If not, consider advertising it there next spring.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll be looking for ya...
    It was the 1st one ever. The ppl who were marketing it did not do a great job spreading the word outside the store.Signs in the store but that was all.

If you are local and want to donate plants I'll take em.
    And thanks for the tip about the forum. I'll have to make sure that gets done for next yr!

• vera_eastern_wa
    14 years ago

Holy cow! I'd say most years I spend less than $30.00 on seed...this year was $0. I acquire almost all my seed through trades and the home garden. I would definitely need therapy if I ever spent that much on seeds...I'd be certified nuts LOL!

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yeah,,,DH just saw the total. LOTS o' kissing up to do lol.(Not really)

My original plan was to swap/beg seeds.But since I was advised to start NEXT years perennials for the sale NOW I had to get going.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I Know a lot of ppl wanted to see the seed pics so here it is..in the middle of the album
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ontheteam/CMNGardenProject#

Here is a link that might be useful: cmn pics

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals