SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wrighthouse_gw

spray for white fly after frost?

wrighthouse
17 years ago

I am wondering if I should spraying my azaleas, which seem to have suffered from a white fly infestation in the summer. I sprayed them with Ortho Systemic Insect Killer about a month ago, and had considered spraying again, but we had a hard frost soon after so I wasn't sure if another spraying would do any good. Do the systemic insecticides work when the plant is dormant?

I am really concerned because these formerly gorgeous shrubs, which have been evergreen since I bought this house two years, ago are now losing their leaves. I had started seeing pale spots in September, but first thought the problem was an iron or acid deficiency since we had some masonry work done on the house. When testing revealed that this was not the problem, I bought a book on azaleas and saw the picture of white fly damage.

The book recommended the Acephate, but neither the book nor the directions on the label indicates whether I should continue the spraying over the winter. I hate using poisons in the garden since it kills all the beneficial insects as well as the nasty little sap suckers, but I'll do just about anything to avoid losing these shrubs.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio