SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nathanjames_gw

Siting a Corkscrew Willow

9 years ago

Hopefully this hasn't been covered--nothing came up in a search. I've recently moved into a new house, surrounded by a bunch of mature-to-geriatric trees. I expect many of them will be either dead or unsightly/dangerous enough to remove within 10 years. In some places, I am able to put in an understory of saplings, in order to get a head start on replacing some of my giants when they finally come down. One of the trees I really want to put in is a corkscrew willow, mostly because of the awesome branches, but also because of its reputation as a fast grower. However, I've also heard horror stories about the aggressive surface-level roots of willows, so I wanted to find a good location.

The first place I'd like to put one is in the "V" where my circular driveway connects. The pavement is right there, of course, but I could conceivably site the tree far enough from the driveway to keep it the roots from being a problem. The question--how far is far enough? How far can the roots spread?

Second question, about a secondary location--how much shade can corkscrew willow take? As I said, I might be putting in an "understory" below my mature trees, and it can get quite shady in the summer. Will a willow tolerate shade as a young tree?

Comments (8)