SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhendri479

Suggestions for getting young plants ready for winter

lhendri479
16 years ago

We have 15 new rhodies and/or azaleas planted this year on the north side of the house and I think I should give them some winter protection as they are 1 or 2 year old plants that we got thru our local rhody/azalea society meetings. You may not think that NC gets that cold, but up here in the mountains, it sure does!! We froze everything last Easter.

We now have some stakes in the ground the full length of the garden and planned to staple heavy duty construction plastic to these stakes. Then we were going to cover the plastic on the outside with burlap just to make it look better. That was until we saw the price of the burlap at the fabric store - $6.00 a yard!! Whoa !

First of all - do you agree with the above setup for protection and if not, what would you suggest?

Secondly - any suggestions as to how to make this look better for less than $6.00 a yard?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. All the rhodies and azaleas have made it this far and I really would like to see them keep growing next year too.

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting