SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Important response re: Arif's Mother and Daughter message

Dear Arif and all,

I was going to post this as a reply, but thought it might get lost there. Since there are so many new people on the list, the take home message from Arif's photos is very important!

K

After a long flight back to the USA, I am trying to catch up on messages. Arif, your photos prove an excellent point/lesson to everyone on the list, especially those who are new to growing amaryllis. When a plant is pollinated with itself, the resulting flower may resemble the mother, but it can not be called by the same name as it is genetically different. It's very important to label these as NAME (self). VERY IMPORTANT. You might sow 100 seeds and only a few will resemble the mother bloom. Even those that look exactly like the mother can not be called by that name and must have "self" indicated! People should also be aware that when they buy seeds from a certain "self", they might be very surprised at what the blooms look like! I had posted a good example last year about my Gordie self!

Regarding Ann's comment about Apple Blossom being a "horse" by comparison...Well, it's a horse each of us should have in our stable of amaryllis as it is a consistent performer. I was pleased to see that it was rated as #2 in the cut flower category of the Keukenhof Amaryllis Show (and they judges remarked repeatedly about how it is such a reliable plant). It may be common, but a good specimen of Apple Blossom is an example of a great amaryllis bloom. Don't discount it!

Kristi

(fighting jet lag)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions