SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chazparas

Hateful little buggers....

chazparas
16 years ago

Just discovered that the damned narcissus fly got to more of my bulbs last summer. My beautiful Aphrodite had started to show signs of leaves and scapes, I decided they were a bit to crowded in the pot (5 in a 12 inch pot)and they needed moving. As I removed them from the pot, one felt kind of slimy. As they'd been dry and dormant since september I decided to take a closer look. Two out of the 5 had holes in the basal plate, I cut them open and found major damage, from the maggot. I cut them to clean plate and now have them drying with some cinammon on them, I heard this is acts as an anti fungal/bacteriacide. Hope thats true.

Anyway, I checked my pot of Emerald and Ruby meyer, one of each is gone from bulb fly as well. That makes a total of 6 bulbs gone from the damage last year. I know that to many of you that's not a lot of bulbs, but to me, it's almost half my collection!!!!

Anyway, the point of all this ranting. If the Narcissus Bulb Fly is in your area...DON'T PUT YOUR BULBS OUT WITHOUT PROTECTING THEM!

Wishing you all happy healthy bulbs!

A very distressed Chaz

I can tell you all, this beauty will never go outside without a screen house and insecticide protecting it. At least while I live in this area.

{{gwi:390521}}

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions