SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Another 'is it too late to plant' question

Karolina11
10 years ago

I am in zone 6b but it is due to being in a valley. I am not far off from zone 5 areas (within 30 minutes of). I am still planting trees I have bought at the great local nursery sales. Most of our days are in the 50s with nights in the 30s, but we have had a few 30-40 days and high 20 nights. I just discovered Whitman Farms online and they have a few things I am looking for. I will be ordering the following:
Cornus kousa 'Hearth Throb'
Cornus kousa 'Summer Fun'
The following Acer palmatum -
Olsen's Frosted Strawberry
Pixie
Bihou
Beni kawa
and probably a Ginkgo biloba 'Snowcloud'.

Unlike the bigger trees I am purchasing at the nurseries, I will probably be purchasing graft size and one gallon plants from Whitman. I can purchase and plant when they come in this fall (so probably next week sometime) or I can purchase and wait for Spring delivery. I think it is safer to do early spring delivery but that is also bareroot rose time and I barely have enough time to get through that and thus I am hoping fall delivery isn't the worst idea in the world. The top few inches of ground usually does freeze here around mid January and stays that way until sometime in March.

What do you think? Is it definitely a better idea to wait until Spring to plant these young, immature plants?

Comments (6)