SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aacor11

question on research on tarsonemid mites

aacor11
11 years ago

I have been looking for research on tarsonemid mites in an effort to understand what could be done to control them

and I found this research on steneotarsonemus (is this the hippeastrum mite?)
(www.daff.gov.au bulbdatasheet)

"In the UK, S. laticeps is a major pest of narcissus cultivation and is most severe in forced bulbs. Infested bulbs show a considerable reduction in flower yield and quality. Feeding damage caused by this mite appears as reddish streaks and spots at the base of developing leaves and stems. The streaks elongate as growth proceeds and leaves become distorted and can fail to grow in badly affected bulbs. Red marks can be seen inside the bulb where the mites are feeding.

This species reproduces throughout the year and there are several overlapping generations. The rate of development is dependent on temperature and at 14-16oC under humid conditions, the life cycle can be completed in two weeks. Most eggs were laid at 20oC (about 30 per female), the highest percentage egg hatch occurred at 15oC (93%) and development from egg to adult was fastest at 20oC (15 days). At temperatures outside of 10 to 25oC, either development was very slow (51 days) or no adults were produced."

If 25C is enough to stop them, why do I need to buy acaricides, can't I put the pots on a heater (which brings the temperature in the pot at about 30C)?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions