SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_w7eta

How many snap bean plants, and plantings for a single bean lover?

Bob-W7ETA
12 years ago

I've been reading for a few days about growing vegetables in the desert where the temps are regularly over 100F for 3-4 months during the summer�Tucson AZ

Right now I'm over loaded with information?

Based upon the theory and experience last summer while I was in Maine, I've decided to go with a SQF around 4X8 or slightly larger. I built the 4X8 frame, mixed all of the ingredients for Mel's soil. My friend, who invited me to spend the summer, was against mulching the plants. Guess who wound up dealing with the weeds?

My main reason for starting a garden is that I'm a tomato and corn snob�I just won't buy the imitation corn and card board tasting tomatoes in grocery stores. Plus when I was a child living in New England I used to LOVE string beans, the kind that had an real string along it's back. As you have probably guessed that is another vegetable I won't buy in grocery store.

While I was in Maine I had easy access to fresh REAL corn, peas, beans, cherry tomatoes, and pickling cukes�love them in my salads. Finding tomatoes that tasted like tomatoes, other than one farm stand that sold cherry tomatoes, was next to impossible!

So, my top priority is to grow tomatoes, beans, and a few peppers.

SO far I've got a list of at least 12 tomato varieties that might do well up to our 100F summer heat.

I ideally I'd like to grow 7-10 tomato plants, perhaps in a separate SQF?

But, right now I'm trying to figure out "snap" beans. How many bean plants should I plant at a time? How many plantings? If I had enough beans to have to heaping plate fulls each week I'd be very happy. I found one posting of someone who had 17 square feet of beans.

My search in the Beans and Peas forum didn't find any info on how many.

I've been a widower for a while now, so it's just me drooling for string beans.

I've found some plants that are rumored to do well in spring and into part of the summer: Contender Bountiful, Hilda, Rattlesnake, Dragon Tongue bush beans, Brio,Festina, Romanette, and Romano Gold. I've also seen mention that some long beans can do well here.

If the mythology that any bean can be eaten when the pod is small there are a few native ones I can try.

While planning this garden I have to keep in mind that I will have to protect everything from small rodents, mice, up to Javalina, rabbits, and birds.

Oh. I have space for multiple SQFs with full sun all day.

TIA to anyone who takes time to offer suggestions.

Bob

Comments (7)