SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

OT: Johnny Jump-Up..Aptly named!

15 years ago

Five years ago, in my first WS year, I dumped a partial packet of what Burpee called Viola 'Black Jack' Johnny Jump-Up in a one-gallon water jug. I sowed them on March 10, they sprouted April 4, and started blooming in the jug on May 22:

{{gwi:350854}}

I planted them out as a single plug, and had a nice 2' diameter clump by the end of the season.

In 2005, they came back nicely and formed a beautiful 3-4' diameter patch:

{{gwi:391755}}

In 2006, they were AWOL...nowhere to be seen. I had a 3-pack of 'Becky' Shasta Daisy from Bluestone, and needed a spot for them, so I dug out the old poor soil where the Viola had been and replaced it with nice new garden soil, amended with compost. I planted the 'Beckys' and they are still there. The old soil went on top of a pile of old soil in a utility section of the garden, beside the compost bin and behind a pile of wood chips.

Last year, a clump of Johnny Jump-Ups appeared on the side of the old soil pile, and with no care whatever grew into a 2' diameter clump, blooming from April through August.

This spring, several clumps showed up in March and started blooming shortly thereafter. By April 28 it looked like this:

{{gwi:391756}}

This morning, it looked like this:

{{gwi:391757}}

I've pulled a few weeds, and dug and gifted a few clumps, but have given it no other care...no added water, no ferts..nothing. The soil is old and sandy. It gets sun from mid-morning until early afternoon. It seems happy.

I think I'll let it go, and see if it completely colonizes the pile. I should probably transplant some of it into a real bed in the regular part of the garden, but it should probably be a small stand-alone bed of its own. It's got such a long blooming season, it would make a nice little display.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH