SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shedthechrysalis

Is our gorgeous oak tree *gulp* ok?

shedthechrysalis
11 years ago

Hi everybody! I'm new to the gardening side of Gardenweb (lol) and I was hoping somebody would be able to give us advice about our tree. We moved in last October and in our backyard is a gorgeous 35-40 foot tall oak. We had an arborist visit who told us he thought it was either a white oak or a scarlet oak. The leaves to me look like a pin oak, but I'm not an arborist so he's probably right. Anyhow, last year around this time the leaves started changing colors and turned a gorgeous bright red with hints of orange in them. We had been looking forward to seeing it again this year but...the leaves are just turning yellow, then brown, then dropping off the tree. I can't help but to feel as if we did something wrong. We do have a lawn around it, but the lawn has been there as long as the tree has - 15 years. I deep watered the tree a few times until I was told that you shouldn't water oaks in the summer, so now it gets water from the sprinklers on the lawn. I've read that you should never water an oak tree with sprinklers but again, the tree has been there for 15 years with no problems and the arborist told us to just leave things alone because oaks don't like change. One other thing to mention - this house was a foreclosure when we bought it, and the people that lived here before did not take care of anything - the roof, the carpets, the walls, and much less the tree. They in fact shot it with a BB gun. The arborist we had over said that we should leave them in because the tree could be caused more harm if we take them out but I feel weird just seeing them and thinking that maybe they are affecting the health of the tree. I don't even know what to think anymore. So that's my story. I'm hoping that if I post a few pictures someone will come along and be willing to share some knowledge on the tree. Maybe tell us what it is? How to properly care for it? I get so many conflicting answers elsewhere :( Thank-you much!

Comments (19)