SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zone6_nj

Own root purchases from DA website

10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am placing an order for DA roses from his website, using a special offer he has available, just wondering, I know weather makes a difference, but with:

Overall vigor
Rebloom
Bloom size
Amount of blooms on bush at any given time

Which roses do you feel did better grafted as opposed to own root. If purchased own root it would be from DA himself, not a band. So they would already have at least 2 years on them. I know it takes a year or two (or three, actually) to get going but if I'm gonna buy a rose that will rebloom better on dr Huey and is weak or rarely reblooming on own roots, I would rather save my time and get dr Huey from now.

Planning on getting:
Jude the obscure
Munstead wood
Lady emma Hamilton
Princess Alexandria of Kent
Young lycidas
Golden celebration
Gertrude jekyll
Claire austin

I understand there are certain factors that go into play, but I mean I've heard stories where a rose just doesn't rebloom well on own roots as opposed to grafted or is just a weaker grower on own roots, or never gets past "x" feet on own roots. I would prefer to get own roots, since I'm in a zone that potentially lowers to 10 degrees F, this rarely happens but it's possible, as I'm in zone 6. I just want to have an overall nice rose, the size of the bloom, quantity of bloom and rebloom is a big deal to me and if I'm missing out because I decided to go on root, I might as well go grafted.

Please let me know of own root experiences from DA purchased roses as well!

I appreciate the help, and happy new year to you all!!!

This post was edited by zone6-nj on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 23:13

Comments (15)