SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fredgmeyer_gw

Deodar & western red cedars growing close together

fredgmeyer
10 years ago

Hi. I live in Seattle. In my front yard, along my front fenceline, I have 3 trees planted in a line relatively close to one another: 2 deodar cedars on the ends, and a western red cedar in the middle. The deodars are both about 6' away from the WRC. I would estimate they are all at least 20 years old: the deodars have trunk diameters ~16" and the WRC diameter is about 15". They are about 40' tall. Their canopies completely overlap and intertwine, and I think the 3 trees are just too close for long term health. I have thought about cutting down the WRC in the middle to free up some room, water, and nutrients in the soil. My questions:

* The canopies of both deodars on the sides that face the WRC are obviously thin and stunted. Now you don't notice since the WRC is there. If I cut down the WRC, will these canopies eventually fill in and not be stunted and noticeable?

* In the 10 years I have lived here, it appears the deodars have grown thicker faster than the WRC. I'm wondering if I cut the WRC, will the deodars begin to grow even faster with more nutrients and water available? If so, that raises questions, such as growing into the front fence as the trunk diameter increases.

Thanks!

John

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022