SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulah_gw

Weedeater damaged young tree. Heartbroken. Help please!

tulah
16 years ago

Hello - I usually post over on the Kitchen's forum, but I am heartbroken today about a small tree we planted about 8 months ago in our front yard.

We hired a new lawn care service and despite my pleadings to be very careful around our young tree, I came home yesterday to see that they had butchered the very bottom of the trunk - about 2 inches before it goes into the ground - with their weedeater!!! This was the 2nd time within 2 weeks, though the first time wasn't nearly as bad!

The bark is cut into the tree in multiple places and looks like the bark is dry/dead in the older wounds... I read somewhere that you're suppose to "clean up" the wounds with a sharp knife or razor blade, so I did that this morning, only to discover that there are huge "black" areas under the dying bark. I cut it away gently trying not to enlarge the wounds...but the huge wounds go all the way to the "green" part, and about 3/4 around the circumference of the tree.

:-( Does this spell certain doom? Other sites I've read didn't sound too hopeful....

Any recommendations to save this tree? By the way, it's a Red Maple, and about 10 ft tall and otherwise healthy looking with a trunk of about 4 inches wide, and nice leaves.

ANY help will be appreciated.

THANK you!!!

Ali

Comments (20)