SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

TURKEY! Ever had to deal with them?

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

I hear about deer, rabbits, slugs, voles, etc...but can't recall that we've ever dealt with turkeys here on the forum. I'm not a stranger to turkeys, just never had to deal with them with my winter-sowing stuff.

We have a couple at work of all places! I just uncovered all my containers this morning, and there's a turkey out there wandering around. I watched her for a while, and she went over to the underbed box (presently filled 1/2 with water because I was doing that this morning before work), but don't know if she was drinking...I couldn't see her out the door. Forgot about the windows in the conference room.

She wandered around the containers a little, and she was feeding on something...couldn't tell if it was this white cottony-fluffy stuff that's floating around the air the past couple days or not...

Then she started pecking in my containers. I watched...she wasn't eating the seedlings. She was pecking at the dirt, or something IN the dirt around the seedlings, but not eating them. So I let her be...UNTIL...

SHE DECIDED TO STAND ON THEM ALL AND WALK ALL OVER THEM TO GET TO THE ONES IN THE BACK! Hehe...peck all you want, but don't STAND all over my seedlings! I went out slowly, talking to her...she didn't really care that I came out, but walked into the thicket along the back fence/treeline. She's probably back there now for all I know.

Ok, so my obvious question is NOW WHAT? If I put the containers on the picnic tables, I'm sure the owners of the company might have a cow because now I've taken space that the employees use for lunch hour...but turkeys can still get at them, anyway.

Now what? Ok, this is dumb, but would caution-tape work to corral the containers, and maybe keep them out? I need a couple weeks max before I can get all these containers planted out (they're not quite ready for prime-time).

Help.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services