SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrbrownthumb

Clearance Bulbs, How lucky were you?

mrbrownthumb
18 years ago

Well two of the three bulbs that I got at Target have bloomed. The White Lion turned out to be an Apple Blossom and the Minerva turned out to be a Red Lion. I'm still waiting for the third one to blooom.

Did you buy any bulbs this holiday season and have them not come true to what the box said?

Comments (49)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Well I bought 5 bargain bulbs and One is just getting ready to bloom.....the pic on the box looks like an apple blossom......I also have a named bulb apple blossom and I have been comparing the two.....And so far they look exactly the same.....So I should know in the next week for sure.......The other 4 arn't that far along with their blooms......

I was a bit worried when my 'red lion' was starting to bloom that it was the same color as the dark rose one....but then when fully open it was a nice dark red...true to name....

My Vera isn't going to flower ...just leaves so won't know till next year, I guess.

Will post as they open.

Sierra

• mollyzone5
    18 years ago

I bought 2 but only one had a name.This is the first just starting to bloom,the one without a name.Can anyone tell by this pic what its name might be?

{{gwi:379911}}

• Related Discussions

Ground is frozen. Menards has bulbs on clearance. What to do?

Q

Comments (13)
    I'm amazed, doesn't anybody who has thoughts about putting bulbs into pots and placing them out of doors think about their pots....let alone the bulb inside it. How can a bulb that needs to be watered when planted, go into a pot and have the pot not freeze its *** off and burst the pot? Into a pot yes,....but not left outside. Into the cool place, the 40....45...50 degree place and left there for the required ...minimum 12 weeks....14 for a hybrid tulip which takes us into March at which time they come out into the sunshine of a window to flower. Keep the soil moist. You can plant 5 in a 6" pot and if tulips is what you are planting, put the flat side of the bulb outwards to the rim. This will cause the first leaf forming to point out. Oh, and also, don't push the bulb into the soil....make a hole and put the bulb into the hole, minimum 1" of soil under it. Then cover the bulb. Leave about 1" below the rim to accommodate watering. And it should drain. When the bloom has faded, the bulb in the pot can then go outside to finish its yellowing and planted in the garden just like all the rest are. I don't know whether I can believe the weather report from WBBM.....or WGN.....but those Chicago radio stations say it got down into the single digits last night and they don't expect any improvement until the weekend. Steve and Johnny make for good listening.WGN...why not call them up and ask them if they think you can still plant bulbs in the ground....OR....how about the Professor... Milt Rosenberg...WBBM....great listening. Gotta think the ground in Chicago is as frozen as it is in Ontario....at least enough to prevent digging in to put a bulb. But if you can access a pick-axe, and can dig down the rquired...6"....8"...then that'd the place to put the bulbs. Cant imagine any bulb being left outside to fend for itself through a northern winter if not in the ground.
    ...See More

You guys were right about ordering spring bulbs

Q

Comments (20)
    Ditto! George, you and donnabaskets gave some great tips about digging the holes early. And here I was like a dope out digging in January, lol! Of course, I *had* the bulbs in October... I just never got around to planting them then. It's not like I knew I was going to get some late bulbs in. I just kept putting it off until it got too cold. Lucky for me we had some warm weather in January, and I decided to give it a shot! :) Dee
    ...See More

bulbs clearance

Q

Comments (12)
    My local HD had bulbs 50% off on Wed. I got a couple bags of Tulips that need planting. Bulbs were in good shape, firm and plump, but with the Thanksgiving rush, not planted yet. Our ground is hard, so I am going to try laying them on the surface, covering with lots of dirt I saved from garden pots in the fall. It will add some dirt to the bed, and hoping it gives the bulbs enough cover to bloom in spring. I probably would have passed on them, $3something a dozen, but they were the splashed color ones, my favorites! And one bag of lily tulips. There were a LOT of other bulbs, Tulips of several colors, doubles, Daffodils of various shapes and colors. I have many daffs and ground IS FROZEN or I would have bought more. Very faithful bloomers for me. So give your local HD a call if you want some bulbs.
    ...See More

narcissus bulbs on clearance

Q

Comments (8)
    I can only go on my experience which is that if they are planted out while still in full leaf they have plenty of time to replenish the bulb and will probably flower next year albeit, as you say, a little less prolifically. However, that is in my climate where the long cool spring means they will have a good 2 months growth in the ground before they start to yellow. Mind you - 11 bulbs for $10 doesn't strike me as particularly cheap unless they were unusual varieties. I have planted out supermarket Tete a Tetes at 99p for 5 i.e. 5 for $1.50 and I had already enjoyed the flowers indoors.
    ...See More
  • lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi MBT,
    My White Lion from Target is currently in bud and very not white. So far the buds are very green with sort of coral stippling. It's not anything I recognize yet. I also picked up 2 more White Lion and 2 Red Lion to do a fertilizer trial on. Their scapes are still growing. Lora

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Molly,
    That looks like Minerva.
    Lora

• kniphofia
    18 years ago

I've had terrible trouble with mis-named bulbs this year! I love them all anyway but when you buy those bulbs in netting bags with the cardboard photo stapled to it, you expect to get what's on the photo! I was so pleased to get Picotee and Exotica - both turned out to be something totally different!

I picked up a few in the WM clearance, will see how they turn out.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lora,

I hope you have better luck than I did. Keep up posted.

Kniphofia,

I know what you mean. All I wanted was a plain white one. Is that so hard? I could see if I wanted a fancy colored one..but no. :0) Good luck to you too.

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Have you noticed IV has gotten real picky about posting on a thread more than once?
    Looks like my White Lion is Minerva :( Lora

• anna_in_quebec
    18 years ago

Although I love my Double Record, they were selling as Nymph, and I figured maybe only the one bulb was mislabelled, so when they were discounted (2 for 1) recently, I bought 2 more! So, now I have three DR. Oh well....

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Well my 'Sydney' wasn't a clearance bulb....but it turned out to be 'Minerva'.

Sierra

• jackied164 z6 MA
    18 years ago

I get bargin bulbs by buying the potted ones from the local nursery that they did not sell sometime after Christmas. Some very nice ones I got for $2 this way. Sometimes they suprise and put up another flower but mostly they are for next year and a nice strappy leafed plant for the deck in the summer.

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi MBT,
    So far,the 2 red lion from my fertilizer experiment actually look true to name. One of the white lion has it's buds dropping and it is white.The last one is catching up,it will probably show color in a week. Lora

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cool,
    I don't think any of my clearance bulbs came true to the label. I've lost one to rot or something and am losing the second one now. It's actually a deformed flower and looks kinda cool. But I expect it to do because so much of the bulb is rotted. I'm going to post a new thread on it to share some pics of it.

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Here is the next clearance bulb to bloom,labeled White Lion.
    {{gwi:379894}}

It has just a hint of cream color.
    I've also had 1 that was not a clearance bulb bloom wrong,the place I ordered from is replacing that one. And there are several more to bloom in the next few days that I'm having doubts about. Lora

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lora,

That's a very pretty flower even if it isn't pure white.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Lora that is still a pretty flower!

Well one more of my clearance bulbs is opening.....the pic on the box showed peach color......its ummmmmmm pink.....I am trying to decide what it is.

Sierra

• mariava7
    18 years ago

I find it pretty too Lora. Simple and beautiful...

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Yes,it is a pretty little face.The petals are a little on the thin side but it's holding up nicely.
    MrBrownthumb,would you like to adopt it this Fall when my fertilizer experiment is over? Lora

• gardencolors
    18 years ago

I bought a shopping cart full of bulbs on sale from Target. Most of which said white lion on the box. So far I only had a few white blooms. A few appear to be Apple Blossom and Red Lion as compared to some plants that I bloomed from another source. I have also gotten some reds and reddish orange blooms both singles and doubles. One of the red ones was exceptionally dark. I am sorry that I didnÂt photograph them as I would love to identify the cultivars. I figure most bulbs that come from a retail outlet such as Target will be well known cultivars generally available in commerce. My local Wal-Mart also has some bulbs now. They are labeled only by color, but for less than $3 each they have also bloomed well.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Buck a piece. Three days after Christmas. All I could get in the cart. (think I bought 25 - half for me and half for mom). Since they were in those little Christmas kits, the variety is fairly certain.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lora_in,

If it needs a home in the spring you may be able to twist my arm into giving it one. ;0)

So feel free to send me an e-mail about it.

MBT

• soultan
    16 years ago

The Internet retailers are already putting their bulbs on sale. Some of them are not selling bulbs anymore. How about the local stores? I have never seen bulbs go on sale at Home Depot or Lowes.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

About two weeks ago Target had the Smith & Hawken bulbs on sale and about a week ago HD had their bulbs on sale. I bought another one in the hopes that this it it will actually be white.

For being such a common color I'm surprised how many times I've bought a white bulb that turned out to be anything but white. I feel like I'm chasing ghosts here.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I bought two boxed kits labeled White Dazzler... and I really wanted a white flowered bulb, because most of what I have is either red, pink or multi... White Dazzler looks a lot like Minerva now that it's open! Who boxes these bulbs, anyway? And can they read or follow directions? Obviously, someone is dropping the ball! There seems to be an overabundance of mislabeled bulbs! What gives?

• soultan
    16 years ago

I have a lot of white bulbs. Though it is true that I bought them from speciality stores and Internet retailers. One of my absolute favorite single whites is Matterhorn.

• oldspider
    16 years ago

Soultan
    With so many whites what makes MATTERHORN
    your favorite?

• soultan
    16 years ago

The whole flower looks like as if it was made out of plastic or white sugar that they put on the top of cakes. It is so beautiful that my visitors thought it was not real, and when they discovered it was, their jaws dropped. The petals are thick and the flower is timeless and well put together. I have no idea why I like it so much, but it is the most well pronounced white I have seen around.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Well... I hope at least one of these bulbs is a White Dazzler... I may want to use a plain white in a cross... that's why I bought them to begin with!

I do like Amputo, and Christmas Gift, I think it is... is that a white?

• soultan
    16 years ago

Yes. Christmas Gift is white.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Soultan, I've heard your praises of Matterhorn several times and may have to consider getting it! =)

Regarding clearance bulbs, I think it's just been a rather bad year for clearance bulbs in Virginia (atleast Amaryllis-wise....). I was baffled beyond words when I visited Walmart a couple weeks ago when we had our first major snow storm in Virginia to see that our local Walmart had their amaryllis bulbs INFRONT of the store while it was snowing without any protection from the wintry conditions. I bought two Vera's at $5 each but just shook my head at the other 40 bulbs (Red Lion, Minerva, and Vera). Anyways, I went by yesterday just to observe the damage and 90% of the bulbs are beyond salvageable, heavily frost bitten, and slime-mushy. I said something to the manager but I think they could've cared less, because after all, the amaryllis are just bulbs to them.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I could have gotten you Matterhorn from Royal Colors, but the package is already sent out to me, and it should arrive any day now. Then the Germa should arrive soon too, and your package will be sent out. Unless you want me to get you a Matterhorn in my December 30th order from Royal Colors. Up to you. :o) Fortunately, it seems like there is still opportunity for me to place one more order, which will be the December one, then I am out.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Here is one of my rescues from Walmart that was supposed to be "Vera".....a little too red/orange to be Vera. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.....Does this look like Red Lion?

{{gwi:379915}}

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

Could it be Orange Souvereign?

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

I thought it might be Orange Sovereign as well, but it seems a little too red-rusty to be Orange Sovereign and plus, my local Walmart was only offering Red Lion, Apple Blossom, and Vera as their available varieties.....the thing that really blows is both "Veras" that I bought look like they will end up as mislabels.....the other "Vera" is in scape and her buds look redish. =(

• cindeea
    16 years ago

pax, I got red and orange ones a couple yrs ago at HD's after Christmas 'bulb-in-a-bag' sale. You know those lil onion like mesh bags. Anyway, they were labeled, Red and Orange...imagine that! Both were kind of mini flowers but very beautiful. They grow in great clusters and produce lots of offsets. Here's a pic of the orange one I dug out of the archives. The haven't bloomed yet this year, but I am still hopeful!
    {{gwi:379917}}

Sometimes, names aren't as important as looks. I hope you find your ID!

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Cindee, your "Red & Orange" looks beautiful! Oh, and look at all those babies growing along the mommy bulb...splendid! I really envy your growing conditions, how awesome and less costly it would be if I could simply stop buying all these terracotta pots and just plant all my bulbs into the ground. I lived in Hawaii for 11 years and I think Florida's growing conditions and Hawaii's are pretty similar and I still reminisce in the joy I had in outdoor gardening. I will still be at peace with myself even if this mystery mislabel finds no name.....I think all ami's are beautiful and if I can't find a name, I will give it one. =) Thanks for your input.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Pax, believe it r not, 90% of my amaryllis are now in pots on my patio! At least the conditions for growing are good! Lots of humidity from the pool, too. It is just easier for me to get to them in pots rather than in the ground. I really hope my orange babe blooms this year. It's been really busy making babies, many of which I have given away! I have a red one that acts the same. Almost cherry-red color with near translucent petals.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

That's so funny Cindee, I would've thought you'd be popping bulbs in every brown spot in your yard with the perfect tropical conditions you have in Florida! =) I do understand the easiness of having access to them if they are in pots though. =) I don't know if you saw Thys's picture post on I believe Jodi's "Welcome to my Jungle" thread but he had all his terracotta pots all staked ontop of each other and I'm really really comtemplating on doing that this Spring outside when the weather warms up....talk about being innovative. =)

• cindeea
    16 years ago

pax, yes I say the way thy managed his menagerie. very clever! I need to try something like that as my pool cage is starting to 'look' like Jodi's Jungle!! lol Last year as my walking started getting worse, Dennis helped me dig up all my amaryllis and bring them in. That orange pic is how I found it after months of neglecting that garden bed. It still rewarded me!

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Cindee, I've had to reserve a room in my house just for over-wintering plants and that doesn't include my african violets, cyclamens, amaryllises, and other houseplants that I have placed all over the house! All I need is a chimpanzee and I think Disney might be able to shoot the sequel to Tarzan in my house! =) I'm definitely going to try Thys's arrangement as I found it very attractice with all the terracotta. =) I think the worst thing about everything is I keep ordering bulbs like there's no tomorrow and I'm running out of room. Please do post pictures of your orange and cherry-red when it blooms, it's gorgeous! =) You're so lucky to have your boys helping you...no one else but myself in my household has the interest and passion for gardening. =)

• oldspider
    16 years ago

Lowe's put it's kits on sale for a dollar
    the day after christmas and I bought 16
    all were appleblossom, red lion and minerva
    all are budded but will not bloom for another
    few weeks. Last year I got lucky and one of the
    red lions turned out to be baby star.
    Wal Mart didn't carry any this year.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Wow Spider, 16 kits! =) You are going to have quite the show, please take pictures if you can! =) I'll be posting pictures of one HD Red Lion and the other Walmart mislabeled "Vera" from this 2007's purchases. I hope you have better luck than myself with your bulbs....a dollar/kit, what a steal! =)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I, too, think Thys's arrangement is super innovative for clay pots! I'm thinking I might arrange mine like that when I truck them all out this spring to get some rays... It kind of reminds me of those champagne glass pyramids at fancy social functions! And the good thing is... clay pots are rather inexpensive! Where do you get those with the nice rim, though?! All we have around here are the old fashioned kind!

I agree with you, Paxfleur... all amaryllis bulbs are beautiful! I have yet to see one that didn't make me want it! I even want some of the old fashioned "garden amaryllis" I've seen in some catalogs and websites...

I only dream of being able to plant things in the ground like Cindee can! If I lived in a warm climate, my yard would be filled with amaryllis beds! No grass, just bulbs! LOL!

Some places around here didn't even discount their bulbs... they just either sent them back or threw them out... one day they had them at $10 or more, and the next day they were gone... I kind of wanted to get some really cheap! Oh well...

Spider, please do post photos when your kits bloom... I'd like to see them, too! :-)

• kalicokit
    16 years ago

Question to paxfleur about the orangey-red pictured above. I have several of these also from Wally. Are the flowers about 5&1/2 inches? Also so far all mine are coming w/5 flowers per scape....how bout yours? Mine were all bare bulbs labeled "Red Lion" originally at $3.34. I grabbed several when my Wally marked them down to $ 1.70. I also thought maybe Or. Sov. but smallish..... My Red Lion is a different shade & usually comes 2 or 3 buds 1st scape & then 4 buds.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Kalico -- Yes, my orangey-red flowers are about 5.5 - 6 inches across. Unfortunately I haven't had 5 flowers per scape but rather only three per scape....BUT, there is another supposed "Vera" that is disappointingly going to be the same color as this one because the buds are turning out to be the same color and that mislabeled "Vera" has fatter scapes than this one. Mine were also bare bulbs labeled "Vera" but I bought mine regular price at $4.97. =( I don't really care too much about finding a name on the bulbs but am rather disappointed in the fact that BOTH bulbs labeled "Vera" are turning to be faux. I've attached two new pictures I took just 10 minutes ago for your review. First picture is with flash, second without.

{{gwi:379920}}

{{gwi:379921}}

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

It really is a lovely orange, though... At least the mislabeled bulbs turned out to be very pretty!

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I didn't find any on clearance around here either. They were just gone when I went out & about. I think Walmart tosses them.
    I did get a couple of GIANT red lion & Minerva bulbs at one of the big box places, they had been $19.99 & down to $6. These are enormous! No blooms yet.
    All my cheap Walmart mesh bagged bulbs that have bloomed have been what they were labeled. Pink Diamond was fabulous!
    Tally HO!

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Thanks Jodi =) To this day, I haven't found a "ugly" Amaryllis yet....I'm just disappointed with all this red-orange when I was expecting pink! =)

Wow Tally, good finds! If they were $19.99 original price, the bulbs were probably XX Large and marked down for $6? Sweet! =) Congrats and keep us updated on how they come out. =)

My HD "Red Lion" bloomed today and I took some pictures side to side with my definite "Red Lion" and the fake Walmart "Vera". I cannot come to the conclusion that my Walmart "Vera" is Red Lion (which is the only thing it could possibly be because Walmart only had Apple Blossom, Vera, and Red Lion) because of it's significant differences from my HD boxed Red Lion. If you look at Walmart's "Vera", it has ruffled/fringed petals and the flowers are larger and scapes are taller versus the HD Red Lion which has a long scape, smaller flowers, and the petals have no fancy petals. What do ya'll think? HD Red Lion is on the right, Walmart 'Vera' on the left side by side.

{{gwi:379922}}

Now Walmart 'Vera' on the left, and HD Red Lion on the right (for comparison of scape heights.

{{gwi:379923}}

And lastly, here is a close up of HD Red Lion. =)

{{gwi:379924}}

• kalicokit
    16 years ago

Paxfleur, thanks for more pix of the orangey-red & the others too. "Vera" as we all know is nothing like what U got---at least it could have been a pink one 4U...but then it would probably been Apple Blossom. As to the $4.97 Wally bare bulbs my store also had those (bigger than the $3.34 ones by a good bit)& I bought 1 Red Lion early on when they 1st hit the store mid-Oct. It is just opening(w/ only 2 buds) & it's definitely Red Lion. Another detail I'm noticing in your xlnt pix are the "paler greenish" ribs on the reverse of the petals--mine all have this too---& my Red Lion doesn't. Perhaps we do have an Or. Sov.afterall?

Spider I can't believe it $1/kit--what a score!!!

Beachplant, as to Walmart tossing them.....story tomorrow.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I will say that of my three Red Lions that bloomed, one of them seemed less red and had the slightly ruffled edge... by less red, I mean rather faded red... the other two were identical reds with typical Red Lion attributes.

I think the camera has a lot to do with the way we view red and orange flowers here in the forum... in some light, a red flower will appear more orange when photographed... and in other light, it may appear to be true red... I, myself, have had lots of trouble getting accurate photos of my red and orange flowers.

Sponsored
More Discussions