SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_gw

Help. Appalachian Red versus Tennessee Pink (Cercis)

14 years ago

Hello, tree people. :) I have a special spot for one of these, which are both available in a local nursery, and am hoping for any observations anyone might have about either. It'll be on the sunny corner of a small lawn backed by woods and on view from our nearby second-story main porch all year round. Some things I'm wondering about are:

Vigor, shape, branching compared to species? We'd like at least a normal growth rate to a typically lovely broad-spreading form.

Foliage color and attractiveness? I noticed on the little canned ones that Appalachian Red's leaves are thicker and more leathery than our natives', with the heart shape flattened out on the sides. I'd really like to know how it looks in the garden, compared to the species, since it'll be a big feature all summer. Tennessee Pink appeared pretty normal on my little leaf, perhaps a little lighter...? Fall color on both, typical yellow?

Seed pods, better or worse than typical? I'd guess we'll have a good view of them from above, very different from strolling around under them in the woods. Would that be a spoiler?

Appalachian Red is said on some sites to bloom "later." Would this mean partial overlap with dogwood bloom most years or...?

Do you think one would be "prettier" or harmonize better with the native redbuds of typical color in the woods very nearby?

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Comment (1)