SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Problems WSing Sweet Peas,Nasturtiums,Four O'clocks

northerner_on
13 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has or is experiencing difficulties with winter sowing these three plants.

For several years I could not get these plants to germinate during the spring/summer (before WS). After learning about winter sowing, I considered that these plants were tender annuals and should be started quite late i.e Spring sowing. After a few years without success, last year I planted them in mid-April and voila - success with all three. This year I did the same and there is nothing from any of them. The seeds were from different sources, some of them being seeds I harvested myself from my own plants last year, so what's the deal?

I do remember that last year, I direct sowed some Nasturtiums here & there to add colour while I was sowing my beans and they never came up until August. They were lush but didn't flower until mid-August. So my question is: are there some annuals which need to be treated like perennials as far as time of sowing is concerned? Should these three annuals be sowed in March perhaps, to ensure germination? I am gettting to the point where I want to dig in the containers to see what's happening, but I have done that before and lost emerging seedlings. Anyone having these same difficulties?

Northerner.

Comments (15)

Sponsored