SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

New house without trees

9 years ago

Hi, I'm moving into a house in NW Arkansas where in 2009 we had a ice storm, which fell on the roof. Perhaps for revenge, the homeowner apparently cut down every single tree on their lot.

I'm thinking about trying to get a few trees in the ground this fall, planting after I take possession and after leaf drop. The ground seldom freezes in Arkansas...so planting time should be fine. I tend to highly favor native to Arkansas plants...so take that into mind, please. I also favor something that either flowers or has attractive fall color and little mess (ie no silver maples to strew limbs and seeds everywhere). Yes, we all want the perfect tree (lol).

The front yard faces south and has little to no overhanging shade from neighbor trees, but I think I would like smaller trees or even possibly an overgrown shrub. I just feel like the lots are too small for a BIG tree. I was tentatively thinking about maybe American Smoke tree there ? But open to suggestions.

Back yard has much more room, and originally had at least 3-4 mature trees from the rotting stumps. I have been thinking just barely, about maybe a smaller oak and a chalk maple or something similar ? Open to suggestions here too, I haven't even narrowed down the oak (lol) even in my mind.

So someone blow my mind away with such a wonderful suggestion that I have to take it!

Thanks
Danny

Comments (20)