SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norabelle_gw

(Slightly OT) Wonderful, Little, Surprise

norabelle
16 years ago

Last summer on a whim, I planted six seeds because I have envied a few neighbors their beautiful purply-blue flower stalks. I got one tiny plant that grew to be about 1". I had to place garden markers around it, so I would stop stepping on it. It was barely an inch tall in the fall, so I gave up on it. Therefore, I WS'd three containers of lupine hoping to do better than my "whim sowing" last summer.

In my constant walks around the yard morning and night, I found a surprise in one garden bed on Saturday: a tiny lupine plant emerging from the soil. Wow! Not only did one of the plants come back that I sowed last summer, I found two more this evening! AND all three have what look to be the beginning of a flower stalk. Wowwee-wow-wow! :)

I guess there was serious work going on in my clay soil because I certainly did not see much of anything above ground last year.

I just had to share. :) If I can get even 50% of the delphiniums I WS'd to do the same, I will feel like I've had more than success with my winter sowing. (Not to mention when I saw an 8" pot of delphs selling for $10.99, I felt pretty good about my milk jug and two packets of seed investement.)

cheers,

Nora Belle

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor