SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
l_james

In search of sourwood seeds

l_james
16 years ago

I would like to get some sourwood tree seeds to plant. Would someone like to trade some golden rain tree seeds for some. Can we do this over this forum? Anyone?

Comments (19)

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

There is a beautiful Oxydendrum that I pass each day going to work. It is loaded with seed pods, and I am sure the owners would let me help myself. I will ask them, because I would like to try some too, just for the fun of it. It is my favorite tree, although I don't own one yet.

Tell me what the seeds (pods) should look like when they are ripe, and I'll get some for us.

• l_james
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know what they look like. My wifw brought me some honey made from sourwood blossoms. Then I researched the tree. None grow in this area but I'm think they would if planted. I was going to start a large pot full of the golden rain tree seeds. I can trade you or pay back the postage. If you want to communicate thropugh e-mail rather than this forum my e-mail is jameslovelace@hotmail.com

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

I'll stop and get some seeds on the way home from work today, and email you tonight for your address. I also have some info about starting the seeds for this particular tree.

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

I am sorry I have not been able to stop and ask for seeds yet. I may not get to it until this weekend. But I'll get them.

• bengz6westmd
    16 years ago

Sourwood seeds are almost microscopically small as they fall out of the little hardened capsules. Usually once the seed clusters have fallen onto the ground, they're already empty.

So this will be difficult. Better bet might be to buy the seeds from a reliable source, transplanted seedlings from the wild, or purchase nursery stock. Even that can be difficult -- my success rate has been poor, tho two seedlings from a half dozen have finally "taken off" after 4 yrs in the ground.

• l_james
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It seems incredible that seeds for a tree could be "microscopically" small. I'll have to take your word for it though for I'ver never delt with them. I'd still like to get some seeds though. I'd just plant the seeds while still in the pods before they fall out, let them grow for three years in a large pot before setting them out. Let me know when you get some gardenscout.- JL

• schmoo
    16 years ago

"almost microscopically small"
    They are VERY small and very difficult to handle as a result...

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

I got the seeds, and they are indeed painfully tiny.

James: Check your hotmail account for my email.

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

Hey Schmoo (or anyone else who knows) Are the seeds the little black things, maybe a quarter the size of a poppy seed, or are they the fine brown dust? Do they have a shape when magnified, or are they just specks?

• pineresin
    16 years ago

From the US Forest Service Woody Plant Seed Manual . . (hugely magnified!):

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:448570}}

• pineresin
    16 years ago

And from USDA NRCS:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

Pineresin, those links are hugely helpful. Now I see that the seeds are the golden brown tiny whisker stubs. If I didn't have a magnifying glass, reading glasses, and a flashlight (along with the pics in your links), I would have assumed they were chaff.

Best things, small packages, and all that.

• l_james
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I see now the seeds are small. A redish brown chaff coming out of the seed pod is what I'll be looking for.
    Nothing yet on the hotmail.

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

James, I sent you the email yesterday, and it didn't bounce back. If you didn't get it, send me an email to the address below:

LLMCL911 at gmail dot com

• l_james
    Original Author
    16 years ago

garden scout I didn't get your e-mail. I e-mailed you. I checked my address it is good. Let me know if I get through. - James

• sam_md
    16 years ago

Rhododendron, azalea and mountain laurel are all members of the Heath Family just like sourwood, they all have small seed.
    On the next frosty morning go to your sourwood tree, you may need a ladder. As the sun shines on the capsules they open slightly. Hold a shoebox under them and the seed will rain down as you shake the branch. This happens bit by bit with each frost. The seed is small because it is dispersed by wind.
    If you have a flat of soil make the top layer sphagnum moss. Carefully sow sourwood seed on the surface, I would cover with a piece of glass.
    Next Spring hundreds of tiny seedlings germinate. They only grow a few inches the first year, as they get bigger transplant into larger pots.
    This process is made much easier with either cold frame or greenhouse.
    Growing members of the Heath Family from seed is really a specialty and not for everyone, you must hover over the seedlings the first few months.
    Sam

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

Sam, Great info. Thanks for taking the time.

Jim, I got your email in my gmail account, and replied. So check your hotmail.

• schmoo
    16 years ago

"They only grow a few inches the first year"

That is one extreme on the bottom end, but possible to get them too 24"-36"+ the first year. Yes, that is a commercial growing operation sowing very early....aim high and see what you get("do not put all your eggs in one basket"...play a bit and learn).
    Yes, treat them...fertilizer & potting soil wise, like a Rhododendron, it pays off.

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

Schmoo -- thanks so much for saying that. If I can get it to a foot or two it will be a worthwhile project. But hearing that it would only be a few inches after a season was very discouraging.