SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

Pleasant spring surprises

kqcrna
17 years ago

Aesclepias tuberosa: WSed last year, I had 4 seedlings. While I was sick my husband planted them in a not-so-great spot and very close together. When my health finally improved, in October, I tried to move a couple of them. I broke the taproot pretty badly and they looked sick, too. The weather got very hot, we went out of town, and when we returned I thought they were dead. Well, they're coming back! I'm shocked because I really thought I killed them. I sowed a couple more this year because I was sure those 2 were goners.

Gaillardia Goblin: One WSed last year survived this winter, a first for me. Some apparently self sown babies popped up near the mother plant, another first for me. At least I thought they were self-sown. I tried to transplant them and found that they were all little off-shoots from a root running directly from they mother plant, (sort of layered), not self sown seedlings at all. More like little clones of the mom. I transplanted them and attempted to allow a little piece of this thin fine root for each 2 or 3 babies. Is this common in gaillardia? Has anyone had babies like this survive?

Karen

Comments (2)

Sponsored