SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rolf_jacobs

very large Cherry tree

rolf_jacobs
15 years ago

There is an enormous Cherry tree on my commercial property and I have to decide if I should remove it or leave it alone. The tree splits into 3 large trunks about 3' above the ground and is about 2' in diameter below the split. I believe the tree to be about 30+ years old as the property was developed with extensive grading in the 70s. Other Cherries in a much wetter part of the property have been falling/blowing down and seem to have really shallow roots. This particular tree is the biggest one around and is on a slope with no accumulating water.

Here is the problem:

The property is a mobile home park. There are currently no occupied spaces under the canopy but someone wants to bring a brand new home which will likely be there for easily 20 or more years. The back half of the home will be under the canopy and the prevailing winter winds could drop the entire tree onto the home. Previous wind storms have dropped trees onto homes with disastrous results. If I take the tree out now, I can do the job myself with a clear drop zone in all directions. If I wait until the site is occupied, it will cost me $3K to have it taken down in pieces.

How long do these trees live anyway? I'm thinking this one is either at or really close to maturity and it's all downhill from here.

FYI: I am about 25 miles south of Youngstown and we do not typically have heavy snows. Very high winds and ice are, however, a fact of life in this area. I have been going through the community this entire summer and removing dangerous trees in order to limit future liability. I replant with stronger trees, mostly conifers, and with proper spacing.

Let me know if you need more info and I appreciate everyone's help with this matter.

Rolf

Comments (8)