SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giboosi_alttara

Cercis c. 'Forest Pansy' self destructing???

giboosi_alttara
16 years ago

I planted a Forest Pansy about 4 years ago, on the south side of a 20' Norway spruce and a pear. It has done well and grown a lot, though this spring I had the spruce and pear removed (the spruce was sited poorly by the original planter and the pear was... well, an old pear with fungal problems and attracted too many yellow jackets and looked ugly most of the time).

Over the summer, starting a month or 2 after removal of the other trees, FP has inexplicably been having branches snap. Large branches, a few inches around, almost too thick for loppers. These snaps seem preceded by windy weather, but they certainly looked sturdy enough, and we have not had big storms! At this point I think I've lost about a 3rd of the canopy in the last few months, and another branch is split and needing to be pruned off.

It looks fine, as far as foliage goes, it's been a fairly dry season and I've watered occasionally and deeply but since it's well established I haven't fussed over it.

Is this all likely due to the new exposure from the trees I took out? What, if anything, can I do at this point? I'd been concerned about it getting more sun, but that hasn't been a problem, judging by the leaves.

Comment