SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eeldip

plant choices for native--ish forest bed

George Three LLC
10 years ago

So, new house, I have a completely new bed to plan:

A roughly a 30 foot diameter lima bean shaped bed. Existing plants are a big doug fir trimmed up high. then two multi trunked mature pacific dogwoods that are looking scary sad/dead/rotted. some amount of them are coming down very soon, but i think i am going to try to keep 2 of them. the ones leaning away from my house.

i need some privacy at head height-- house is a ranch. the bed is in the corner of the property. so i want to thicken up that area.

I am leaning to do a native themed bed. my thought was to incorporate large shrub/small tree mostly evergreen plants in there (and groundcover stuff, but that is easy). its going to be dry, between the root competition and me not wanting to water. no mid day sun due to fir and neighbors cedar. some east and a little bit more west sun.

i just got a relatively big evergreen huckleberry in a nice #10 pot. i was going to try to fill with native shady evergreen small trees, but the native plants are WAY too slow (pacific yew, all i could find was a 2 foot tall one for $40), the wrong shape (mountain hemlock, taller than wide, want wider than tall), too big (myrtle), impossible to find or cultivate (golden chinkapin). i'll probably pick up a wax myrtle.

but can anyone come up with a FAKE native? a nativish that easy to find. i am thinking i would like yew that would get me close to pacific yew without the whole waiting 50 years for it to grow.

any other thoughts? woodland shrubs... pacific NW looking ish....

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths