SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncguy32

Krauter Vesuvius Plum or Thundercloud Plum or Purple Pony Plum?

ncguy32
16 years ago

Which would you choose to plant in your front yard? Krauter Vesuvius Plum or Thundercloud Plum or Purple Pony Plum or...... none of the above?

Here is my situation. I am in Raleigh,NC zone 7B. My House is on a corner lot and I have a small front yard 20' X 20'. My Front Lawn gets full sun all day and gets compeltely baked. My wife and I would like to plant a tree that provides a decent canopy to shade the front lawn. My wife really likes the look of the purple foliage and I have found thundercloud plums and Purple Pony Plums at our local nursery. Haven't seen the Kraiter Vesuvius yet. I keep reading conflicitn info about these three trees.

Which of the three has a more "upright" Canopy, I want it to shade the lawn but ultimately I would like a tree that when mature has a canopy that is upright enough for me to walk underneath it. Do all three of these plum trees produce immature fruit? I would prefer one that did not. Has anyone seen a mature Purple Pony Plum Tree? How big do they get?

If you think a purple leaf plum is a bad idea for my needs, what would you suggest instead?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (3)