SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oregoned

Suggestions for narrow tree to block neighbors.

OregonEd
10 years ago

My neighbor inherited her home from her grandmother, and on her move in chopped down about every tree in her yard. Yes, she is odd.

My office window on the side of my house looks straight out towards her house. There used to be small trees planted on her side of the fence that created privacy and pretty views. Those trees are gone. Unfortunately, the area for trees on my side of the fence is not as wide as on her side. I have to be the one to plant something there if I want to block her house and have a nicer office window view.

The house is on a slight slope, in that my office window is about 6 feet above the ground outside. There is a 6' feence between the yard. This side of my yard is narrow. I only have 6-8' between my house and the fence, and the couple of feet next to my home is paved.

I figured I need a tree at least 10' high to improve my view, with something 12-15' high being as tall as necessary.

Any ideas for a narrow, 10-15' tree? The area is part sun, part shade.
I prefer evergreens, but don't want a conifer or pine. A deciduous would be ok if that's all I have available. Looking through empty branches is prettier than looking at a wall :)
I thought about a Bay Laurel, but not sure how bushy it would get?

Please offer some suggestions :)
Thanks,
Ed in Portland.

Comments (15)