SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theyardbird

Shumard Oak - Bark falling off. Suggestions?

12 years ago

I had a shumard oak planted in our yard March 2010. This last year has had some really crazy weather. From -20F this past winter, to 61 days over 100 this summer. I thought that if it could make it through this summer, it could make it through anything.

I noticed this week that it was sending up a shoot from the base. I've heard that is probably a symptom of stress. Today I went to snip the shoot off and noticed some pretty big chunks of bark barely hanging on the tree from the base to about 2' up. It isn't hanging off all the way around the tree. At its worst, it's just a little less than halfway around the tree.

Here are a few pictures:

{{gwi:438529}}

{{gwi:438530}}

{{gwi:438531}}

I can easily flip the hanging bark off of the tree, as shown here.

{{gwi:438533}}

Here's a wider view of the tree. The leaves are somewhat sparse, but other than that seems to be in decent shape.

{{gwi:438534}}

{{gwi:438535}}

Looking at the tree closer, I can see a few holes that could possibly 'bored' by a beetle of some sort. These holes are not concentrated in one spot - they are spread out sporadically on the tree. You can also seem some cracks in the bark near the holes.

{{gwi:438537}}

{{gwi:438539}}

What do you think? Is the tree toast? I have to admit that my gut says it's not going to make it. Suggestions?

Comments (8)