SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladychroe

Giving up on pink hippeastrum

ladychroe
15 years ago

I have had the worst luck with pink amaryllis. I started off with an Apple Blossom kind from ShopRite... of course that didn't even produce a scape, though the two Red Lions bloomed great. But I just can't seem to enjoy that orangy-red color as much as I should. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

So next I bought a Pink Impression from B&B, it grew beautifully, and bloomed... white! But B&B's bulbs are always marked right. Well, not this time. (They refunded my money, i love those guys; but I really wanted pink flowers.)

This year I bought 2 Bolero bulbs from Touch of Nature. I figured out of the two of them, at least one would bloom. You guessed it... one spat out 2 leaves and that was it. The other grew a fat bud that grew and grew, and then we left for 6 days for vacation, and I was all ready to see it bloom when I got back... and I found THIS:

{{gwi:372327}}

Forgive me, but I opened the dead covering to see if the buds inside were shriveled too. They were.

{{gwi:372328}}

{{gwi:372329}}

Bud blast! But it was so fat and healthy. It had light, and I watered it lightly before I left (this was only the third watering since potting, so I don't think the bulb rotted). I'm so disappointed. I've never even seen a pink amaryllis except in photos. What happened?

By the way, while not a huge collector like some of you guys, I usually grow several amaryllis each winter. They almost all grow except the pink ones. I have two double Aphrodite that have nice buds on them now, but I understand that's more of a red-streaked white than a true pink. Are the pink ones weak, or is it just bad luck? I don't *think* I'm doing anything wrong...

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions